Thursday, March 3, 2011

Keeping Your Seams Straight


What a glorious day. I went for a gallop on Monty first thing, and I'm feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed. Ghastly Teddy has given me a rare day off, and as I need a good grooming as well as Monty, let's address our first question from our dear friend Miss Scarlet. We may be at war girls, but we mustn't let our standards slip!
Scarlet asks how one might fake the appearance of silk stockings. This is indeed a pressing issue for many of us. I traded my last proper pair with Jean the tea-lady last week for a bent tin of peaches for Megan's birthday. Stella, Megan and I have tried countless things from clay to pancake make up, but these are our best suggestions:
  • mix up a little gravy browning, and paint on in even strokes with a soft brush (trying to avoid that stripy creosote look ...)

  • or brew a pot of tea and cool - place the leaves in a little square of muslin, and dab on

  • finally, (you will probably need a friend - a *good* friend - to do this for you). Take a kohl eyeliner, and carefully draw a line up the back of your leg where the seam would be. If you are ticklish like Megan, this may take a few attempts.

There we go - Bob's your uncle. As long as you avoid rainstorms and dogs who may want to lick you if you've overdone it on the gravy browning, you are all set for your night out. I had a narrow escape last week from 'Ace', Beau's German Shepherd - one whiff of Bisto and he chased me half way across the airfield.

Are you going dancing, Miss Scarlet? I can recommend the Riviera - perhaps we'll see you later. To get you 'In the Mood', do take a look at the new Beauty Chorus playlist on Youtube.

Yours ever,

Evie x

Ps - do keep the questions coming everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!! I think I will try the tea method. If I had fab legs then I would post the results on my blog! I will think about it!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I told my 17 year old students how women used to fake their stockings during the war, they didn't believe me! It is lovely to hear more details on how to do it.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evie,
    I was wondering how you felt when you took command of your plane for the first time?
    Was it exhilarating? Were you scared? If so how did you overcome your fright?

    ReplyDelete

Ask Evie ...